Sunday, October 13, 2013

Girly Ballet Cake III

Time for another birthday party at the dance studio, and that means another ballerina cake! This birthday girl mixed it up a little asking for blue, rather than pink to be the main color of her party. I do wonder if I'll ever get to make a hip hop or Irish dance cake though.



I decided that this time I wanted to do a whole ballerina instead of just the shoes. I didn't like how it was turning out when I tried drawing freehand, (thank goodness I use a toothpick to mark things out first!), so I tried a new method I'd never done before.

First, I printed some clip art of a ballerina and put it on top of a piece of poster board, the same one I cut my cake board from. Then I taped waxed paper over top of my picture. I did black first and did the outline and little details like her face and lines on her tutu. Then I filled it in over top of that with the colors for her tutu, hair, and skin. Next I put it all in the freezer to let the frosting harden. After it was hard, I took it out, removed the poster board and flipped the waxed paper over onto the cake. I gently pressed it down a little and proceeded to carefully peel away the waxed paper. It didn't work perfectly, some parts pulled away. I don't know if I didn't freeze it long enough, or my frosting wasn't thick enough, or if my design was too delicate, but I was able to fix it pretty easily. I used my smallest round tip to clean up the borders and details with black, and since the other mistakes were so small, I used a toothpick and leftover frosting to fix those parts. I do want to try this method again and see if I can get it to work even better. The original instructions say to put it on glass rather than poster board so maybe I'll try that next time. For a step by step tutorial of this method with pictures click here.

Girly Ballet Cake 1
Girly Ballet Cake 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...