Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Caramel Corn

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and I just can't help it; it makes me think of ooey gooey caramel. Perhaps its because here in Michigan we do not pronounce the candy care-uh-mel, or even care-mel, but car-mul, same as the mountain. So I looked through my trusty family cookbook and found a recipe for caramel corn. My family is just crazy about popcorn, I think it comes from my husband. Not that I ever disliked popcorn, but growing up his family had popcorn almost every day, or at least it seemed like it! My father-in-law even still has the same pot he used to make popcorn as kid. I think that this caramel corn will be the perfect treat for my popcorn loving boys on this special day for Our Lady.

The significance of Mt. Carmel goes all the way back to Elijah in the Old Testament.

"When Ahab saw Elijah, he said to him, “Is it you, you disturber of Israel?” He answered, “It is not I who disturb Israel, but you and your father’s house, by forsaking the commands of the LORD and you by following the Baals. Now summon all Israel to me on Mount Carmel, as well as the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah who eat at Jezebel’s table.” So Ahab summoned all the Israelites and had the prophets gather on Mount Carmel." ( 1 Kings 18, 17-20)

 In the twelfth century hermits came to live at Mt. Carmel and eventually formed the Carmelite order, who have a special devotion to Mary. In 1225 Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock and gave him the brown scapular, also known as the scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. She said to him, "This shall be a privilege for you and all Carmelites, that anyone dying in this habit shall not suffer eternal fire.” Today, many lay people wear a smaller form of this scapular. 

To learn more about Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and the brown scapular, click here.


                                                                                   
Caramel Corn
2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
pinch of salt
8 quarts popped popcorn

1.Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes.

2.Remove from heat and add the baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. (I'm going to admit to you right now that I forgot to do this step today. I didn't have any problems and it turned out delicious! When I realized that I had forgotten I did sprinkle on a little salt while mixing the popcorn and caramel to get a nice sweet and salty flavor. Does anyone know the what the purpose of the baking soda and cream of tartar is supposed to be?)

3. Pour over 8 quarts of popped corn and mix well to coat evenly.

4. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour. Take out of over every 15 minutes to stir. (Its much easier to stir the corn when your cookie sheet has sides on it. Also, though the recipe does not say to grease the cookie sheet, caramel corn is pretty sticky stuff so I played it safe and gave it a spray.) Enjoy!





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...