Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day Cards

Everyone knows that tomorrow is St. Valentine's Day, but not many people know that the official feast day for February 14th is Sts. Cyril and Methodius!

Now, I have absolutely nothing against Valentine's Day. I love wearing red and pink, passing out valentines, spending some extra time with my husband, and having some yummy treats! There are also plenty of Christ centered ways to celebrate the day with your family and friends. I've seen many fun and creative ideas out there that I would love to try! I guess I just feel a little sorry for the saintly brothers who get forgotten in all the festivities. So I thought it would be fun to give them a little love too!

Cyril and Methodius were brothers who were missionaries in Moravia (modern day Czech Rebublic,) in the late 800s. Cyril invented an alphabet, known as the Cyrillic alphabet, and together he and his brother translated the Gospels, the psalter, Paul’s letters and the liturgical books into Slavonic, and composed a Slavonic liturgy. Having these things written in the vernacular of the people was very rare at this time. Learn more about Sts. Cyril and Methodius here.

So my little homemade card has a Bible and the beginning of the alphabet to represent them. In the past I have received from friends those little store bought valentines that simply had Valentine crossed out and Sts. Cyril and Methodius written in its place! Another idea for those that may not have anyone to celebrate with romantically is to have a Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day party with your single friends to celebrate the "brotherly" love you share. This could be especially fun with older children in middle school and high school.

So have a wonderful St. Valentine's Day, and a wonderful Sts. Cyril and Methodius Day as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...